Why work for a CSR Champion, Social Enterprise or socially innovative company?
Social Enterprises, CSR departments and innovative value led companies often find that new employees have discovered that end in disappointment which can be costly, in terms of both time and money. Their initial enthusiasm and commitment starts wane after time or they just simply don’t feel the same way.
When faced with the result that things aren’t working out with an employee many employers will waste time trying to employ short term tactics to resolve the issues however this could be like trying to fit square pegs into round holes, it will save you time, money and heartache if you try to recruit people that fit with your original intention. As Simon Sinek makes clear in his
Here are 10 reasons why we believe that real change happens when the right individuals are connected to the right organisations
1. Value led people are self motivated by their core desire to improve the world, they genuinely care about the result which inspires them to really put everything they have, into their jobs. This job isn’t just survival, it’s a personal mission.
2. Value led people are determined, this sense of purpose gives them the strength to keep going when things get tough, they are usually hard working and willing to go the extra mile to ensure success.
3. They share your vision which creates a bond and a sense of belonging within the business, you are all on the same page trying to achieve a shared goal which is hugely powerful, enabling you to take the business to the next level because everyone is paddling in the same direction.
4. They are generally trustworthy with strong ethics, you can rely on them to get the job done properly, leave them to hold the fort, they have your back and you know that they will be singing your praises even outside of work hours.
5. They are loyal, they truly believe in the business which results in a deeper commitment, reducing absenteeism, employee shortages, recruitment campaigns.
6. They feel valued, value-led people want to contribute their ideas, knowledge, insights and have the opportunity to make a difference, achieving this makes employees much happier and more productive.
7. Your shared sense of identity gives you a strength that most other businesses just do not have, which gives you a powerful edge over your larger competitors. You are all coming from the same ‘WHY’
8. They often make decisions from their gut, they are not ego based so they can make logical decisions which often turn out to be correct.
9. These are talented and intelligent people who want to be challenged intellectually, their brains are alive with ideas and they want to use them effectively to make a positive impact on the world, these ideas could bring huge leaps to your organisation.
10. They are positive, inspiring and have compassion for other people which means they will inspire and encourage the rest of the work force ensuring a healthy productive workplace.
The key to this is build your workforce by design rather than by default, Simon says “There are those who manipulate the door to fit the achieved and desired result and there are those fit the door by design and not by default.” Save yourself the heartache by making sure the person fits from the start rather than trying to mould them into something that they are not further down the line.